Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rituals and Tradition

At least once a month Casey and I would visit the drive thru at McDonalds, a ritual that became tradition for just the two of us. I'd purchase her a plain hamburger, myself a plain cheeseburger and small fries for both of us. Then we'd head to Casey's favorite town park and enjoy our snack. Truth be told, I think she ate as much of my burger as she did her own, and probably most of the fries too.

Late last August when Casey was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, I knew her time with me was suddenly going to be short. She quickly lost her luster for eating, so I abandoned all pretenses of 'regular' food with her, and bought or created anything that she might enjoy...meatloaf, steak, fish...she got anything and everything...including many, many, many more trips to McDonalds.

And every night we'd make a trip into town to McDonalds for dinner. Most nights she'd eat at least one burger, sometimes two. Sadly her cancer progressed very quickly. Just 2 weeks after diagnosis, she refused any and all food, including her beloved burgers and fries on our last trips to McDonalds together.

So, in memory of Casey...my 4-legged heart and soul...Holly and I continue the McDonalds tradition. Once a month, usually on the anniversary of Casey's passing, we visit the McDonalds drive thru, then head to Casey's favorite park.



 

3 comments:

Muttsandaklutz said...

Tears in my eyes right now...

Love the sentiment behind this post.

Kim said...

For sure McDonalds food is (at best) disgusting, but I enjoyed every bite with Casey, and now with Holly :)

Kennedy said...

I have a friend who would take her Danes on an R.I.D.E. every day to McD's - partially for the wind in their face, and partially for their ritual kiddy cones. They loved it.

This is such a sweet story, but sad. Sorry for your loss, but what a way of keeping Casey with you for always.